Monday, May 24, 2010

A Farewell to Oklahoma

Wow! I actually didn't think this day would be here - my last night in Oklahoma (as it being considered "home"). But it is here, and to be honest, I am sad and anxious. Oklahoma has been "home" to me since I was in second grade, and I have fallen in love with Oklahoma City as "home" over the past 9 years. As I looked at Oklahoma City in the rearview mirror of my car tonight, my heart just squeezed within me. I'm going to miss this place! And while I will miss this city, I will more importantly miss the people. When God blesses you with such dear friends, those blessings bring heartache when you have to say good-bye. Yesterday and today have been two of the toughest days. Tears and a sick feeling in my stomach are present, but it just reminds me of how good God has been to me - best friends, a church community that has become family, a city I have loved. What more could one want? My life and character have been forever shaped by these people and this place. It is extremely hard to say good-bye.
.....

Tomorrow the sun will rise, God's mercies will be new and fresh, and I will look toward the new future that God has laid out for me. I can't wrap my mind around what is to come, but I trust it is going to be for God's glory and for my good.

2 comments:

  1. Kristin - It's so good, in a way, to hear you say these things! I just left Vanderbilt a week and a half ago, and while it wasn't my home my whole life like you, it had become home. I knew so many beautiful people and I was and am and will always be so head over heels in love with that city. I also know, though, that where we are headed will be beautiful in itself. I transitioned once from my life-long home in Louisiana to a new world in Nashville, and I am constantly astounded at the beauty that I found there after the difficulty of the transition it took to get me there. I try to remember that as I am going through this second life transition. And...the feelings of sadness and anxiety are in all of us, I believe...but that will probably make us grow even closer - another shared experience among so many we're about to have. I just wanted you to know you're not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Katelyn! I am praying that Memphis becomes "home" fast and that I fall in love with it! I'm excited for all the shared experiences that are to come! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete